This quick and easy Vegan Stewed Okras and Tomatoes is my version of the classic southern dish without bacon, it is so flavorful that you won't even miss it!
My hubby came home with loads of okras and tomatoes etc. A gift from one of his friends garden. My mind went into overdrive on dishes that I could prepare with these fresh okras. I decided to make a big pot of Vegan Stewed Okras and Tomatoes.
I knew we were going out, so I wanted to prepare a dish that was quick and easy yet flavorful. I must say this recipe is spot on! Daevyd tasted the sauce and said, "hmmm taste really good!" That confirmed it for me that it was a winner recipe and I just had to share it.
How To Make Vegan Stewed Okras and Tomatoes
Vegan Stewed Okras and Tomatoes are easy to prepare, okras are cooked with onion, garlic, tomatoes with thyme and paprika and a hint of spicy cayenne.
I know that this is a popular summer dish, but since living in Florida I'm so confused about the seasons and harvest times. Farmers here are still harvesting produce because of the unusually warmer weather now. Since I'm getting these okras fresh, I decided to share my recipe now, so you can bookmark the recipe for later or just use frozen okras instead if fresh ones aren't available in your area.
Since these okras are fresh, I decided to share my recipe now, so you can bookmark the recipe for later if you prefer to use fresh ones. Actually, you can use frozen okras if fresh ones aren't available in your area.
Health Benefits Of Okra
Eating Okra is very healthy for you, here are some of the many health benefits:
- It is a great source of fiber which is great for your digestive system. It improves regularity.
- It is low in calorie, one cup okra contains only 33 calories. Great for weight management.
- It contains calcium (strengthens bones, protects cardiac muscles, prevents colon cancer).
- It contains magnesium (calms nerves, improves bowel functions, relieves muscle aches).
- It contains vitamin A (improves vision, builds immunity, reduces wrinkles.
- It contains vitamin B6 (maintains healthy blood vessels, improves brain function and mood).
- It contains vitamin C (treats the common cold, boosts the immune system, fights cancer).
- It contains vitamin K (important for blood clotting, protects the heart and prevents osteoporosis).
- It contains manganese (improves bone health, alleviate PMS symptoms, prevents osteoporosis).
- it contains folate (promotes fetal development, prevents stroke, reduce LDL cholesterol levels)
- Studies showed that rats who consumed okra had a lower blood sugar levels. ISRN Pharmaceutics
- 113 kcal / 472 kJ
- 4 g
- 4 g
- 0 g
- 10 min
- 30 min
- Ready in:
- 40 min
- Heat oil or water in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook for 3 minutes until soft.
- Add garlic and thyme and cook for 1 more minute, stirring constantly. Stir in tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add okras, paprika, salt, pepper, and water. Stir to combine. Cover saucepan and cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- Delicious served with rice, mashed potatoes or cornbread.