FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
An easy meal to prepare that is filling and healthy, taco salad is one of my favorite Mexican recipes. I love all the flavorful tastes and textures of this meatless taco salad. It is similar to my and Scramble Tofu Breakfast.
For the last 2 weeks, I have been working as the nurse at the Junior camp with my daughter Devannah. When I'm home in the evenings I have to make quick and easy recipes like this Taco Salad because calls would come at any time for us to get to the clinic right away.
Ingredients in my Vegan Taco Salad
- Taco Shell
- Tofu Crumbles
- Black Beans
- Red Onions
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Vegan Cheese Shreds
How To Make Taco Bowl Shells For Vegan Taco Salad?
The ingredients of this taco bowl recipe are simple and easy to purchase at your local health food store. Wanting to go all the way, I decided to make my own taco shells. They surprisingly easy to make. I basically place a tortilla in a bowl and press the sides. then bake in the oven. To prevent the tortillas from falling, you can place balled up parchment paper in the center of the tortillas to hold their shape before baking.
I love to use these Gluten-Free Tortillas thankfully there are a lot of gluten-free and vegan options now available on the market for you to choose from. The results were astonishing, as the tortilla cools, it is transformed into an edible crisps taco shell that will be used as a bowl for the filling.
You can make these taco shells ahead of time and store them in a ziplock bag.
I also decided not to use store-bought taco seasoning to flavor the tofu, even though it saves a lot of time and makes things easier. I used a blend of onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, nutritional yeast flakes, cumin and cayenne pepper for a flavorful Mexican flavor.
How To Make 'Taco Meat'
The 'taco meat' is basically made from tofu that has been crumbled, seasoned and cook in a skillet until brown. You could also bake your vegan taco meat in the oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F.
For this recipe, you can either add black beans or omit. I already had black beans leftover from my https://healthiersteps.com/recipe/black-bean-burritos/so I added it.
How To Make Taco Salad Bowls
Basically, I added lettuce to the taco shell bowls, topped by black beans, 'tofu meat', avocado, red onions, salsa, vegan sour cream and vegan shredded cheese.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 430 kcal / 1797 kJ
- 27 g
- 19 g
- 34 g
- 15 min
- 10 min
- Ready in:
- 25 min
Tofu Taco Meat
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons Bragg's liquid aminos
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For The Tacos
To Make Taco Shells
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F. Using 4 medium-sized mixing bowls place tortillas in the bowls and press along the sides and bottom. You can also lightly brush the tortillas with oil.
- Roll some parchment paper into a ball and place in the center of each tortilla to help them keep their shape. Bake for 14 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
To Make Tofu Crumbles
- Prepare tofu by draining excess liquid and placing tofu in a large bowl. Using a potato masher, fork or hands crumble tofu into small pieces until it looks scrambled. Add Bragg's liquid aminos, nutritional yeast flakes, smoked paprika, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper toss to coat.
- Heat oil a large skillet on medium-high, add crumbled tofu and cook stirring occasionally until crispy and brown.
To Assemble Taco Salad
- To assemble taco salad, fill tacos with seasoned tofu crumbles, black beans, salsa, lettuce, red onions, avocado, vegan sour cream, and vegan cheese. Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves.