White acre pea stew is a hearty, rich, and super delicious stew made from a unique ingredient. This white-acre pea stew is vegan, gluten-free, and super healthy. It is a perfect dish for summer and is very wholesome.
Having white acre peas as the main ingredient, you can serve this stew with a variety of sides. It is very comforting and a perfect way to bring warmth and a smile to your face. Serve it to your loved ones and I am sure they will love it.
When you choose a vegan diet, you are open to new doors. You look at new and unique foods and ingredients. One such ingredient that we will discuss today is the white acre peas.
What are White Acre Peas?
You can know white acre peas by many names. These are also known as field peas, southern peas, or cowpeas (a broader category). As if those are not enough, some also call these cream peas, lady peas, or lady cream pea.
If you think white acre peas belong to the green pea family, let me tell you they are nowhere near the green peas. In fact, field peas or white acre peas are actually legumes. Despite having the white color mentioned in their name, they have a light green and yellowish color.
White acre peas are small in size and are quite tender. They have a very delicate flavor. They are mostly grown in the South and are native to the lands. Traditionally, you can cook white acre peas with butter and bacon and serve it with cornbread, okra, and collard greens. But because we are going for a vegan recipe, we will serve it in a different way.
What is in White Acre Pea Stew?
White acre peas stew is delicious, and it uses simple ingredients that are easily available at any grocery store. Here is a detailed breakdown of everything you need for this hearty stew:
- White acre peas: The main ingredient of this stew are the white acre peas. You can quickly get them from some grocery stores or, more likely, farmer’s markets. You just have to look hard for them. Although fresh white acre peas are most preferable, you can also go for frozen ones. Whatever suits you.
- Olive oil: Olive oil is perfect for cooking. It is healthy and has a very low-fat content. You can also use avocado oil or coconut oil instead of olive oil. Whatever you have in your kitchen will work.
- Carrot: Fresh carrot won’t just bring in flavor but will also give color to the stew. Use fresh, medium-sized carrot. Peel it and dice it in even pieces before using it.
- White onion: White onion gives the stew a savory flavor. You can either use white or red onion for the purpose. Furthermore, make sure it is finely chopped.
- Garlic cloves: Garlic also brings in a savory depth of flavor. The garlicky flavor really shines through the stew.
- Thyme: The flavor and aroma of thyme are heavenly. You can either use fresh thyme sprig, or you can use dried thyme as well.
- Garlic powder: A little garlic powder adds more garlicky and savory flavor to the stew.
- Onion powder: Same goes for the onion powder.
- Paprika: Paprika has a unique, slightly sweet flavor, and it brings in heat to the stew.
- Smoked paprika: Smoked paprika adds a smoky flavor to the stew that really stands out and adds more flavor.
- Cayenne pepper: To bring in more heat, use cayenne pepper. You can also use red chili powder or scotch bonnet powder instead of cayenne.
- Vegetable broth: Vegetable broth adds flavor to the stew and also gives it a body. It sets the base for the stew’s consistency and helps in cooking the ingredients.
- Coconut Milk: This adds a creamy flavor to the stew.
- Salt: No food is complete without salt. Add it according to your taste.
How to make White Acre Pea Stew?
Making white acre peas stew is a piece of cake. It takes only 20 minutes to cook this delicious and rich stew. Here is simple step by step instructions on how to make this stew:
Step 1: Start by sorting the white acre peas to get rid of the bad ones, the stalks, and any gunk. Next, you have to wash them so that you can get rid of the dirt and debris in them.
Step 2: In a saucepan or pot, heat oil and add chopped onions. Sauté the onions until they are soft and translucent.
Step 3: Next, add minced garlic and sauté for a minute or two until it becomes fragrant.
Step 4: Add the diced carrot and thyme sprig, and cook for a minute.
Step 5: Add onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt. Stir well so that all the ingredients are combined.
Step 6: Add washed and rinsed white acre peas and mix well, so the spices coat them.
Step 7: Pour in the vegetable broth, coconut milk and let it come to a boil.
Step 8: Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 20 minutes or until the peas are tender.
Step 9: Take the saucepan off the heat, add it to the serving bowl, garnish it with fresh parsley and serve.
Tips for making White Acre Pea stew
Making white acre peas stew is pretty straightforward. However, there are a few things you can keep in mind when making it. These are:
- Make sure you spend some time sorting the white acre peas. It will help in saving you from embarrassment or inconvenience after it is ready. You surely don’t want any gunk in it, do you?
- Make sure you wash and rinse the white acre peas two to three times to get rid of dirt and dust.
- You can switch cayenne pepper with either red chili flakes or scotch bonnet pepper.
- If you don’t have vegetable stock, you can use vegan bouillon cubes. Dissolve them in 2 cups water, and you will get the same flavor as that of vegetable stock.
- If you want the stew to be creamy and rich, add some coconut milk in the end.
How to store stew?
You can store white acre peas stew by placing the leftover stew in an air-tight container and storing it in the refrigerator. It is good to go for about 3 to 5 days.
Furthermore, you can also freeze the stew. It will last in the freezer for up to three months. Simply reheat it by placing it in the saucepan, and it will be as good as new.
What to serve with stew?
You can use the stew as a soup and enjoy it without any side, or you can turn it into a full-fledged healthy meal by adding sides. Here are a few ideas on what to serve with White Acre Peas stew:
- Bread: you can serve it with pieces of garlic bread or any other type of bread. Soak the bread in the stew so that it absorbs all the flavor. It is a perfect combination. Get creative by serving it in a bread bowl!
- Flatbread: you can also serve it with flatbread.
- Salad: you can also serve the stew alongside a fresh salad.
- Rice: try pairing it with brown or white rice.
- Mashed potatoes: Mashed potatoes go well with almost everything. So why not the stew?
More Vegan Stew Recipes
- Vegan Chicken and Dumplings
- Jamaican Stew Peas
- White Bean Stew
- Jamaican Pigeon Pea Stew
- Lentil Stew
- Chickpea Stew
- Yellow Yam Stew
If you enjoyed this post and would love to see more, join me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook & Twitter
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends to Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Categories: Gluten-Free, Vegan
- Courses: Entrée, Main Course, Stew
- Cuisines: American, Southern
- Season: Summer
- Energy: 264 kcal / 1104 kJ
- Fat: 19 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Carbs: 22 g
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 25 min
- Ready in: 35 min
- For: 4 servings
- 3 cups white acre peas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or other cooking oil
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup vegetable broth, or 1 cup water + 1 vegan bouillon cube
- 1 cup coconut milk
- First of all, sort the white acre peas and wash them.
- In a saucepan, add oil and place it on medium heat.
- Add chopped onions and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until they become translucent.
- Next, add minced garlic, and cook for a minute.
- Add diced carrots and a fresh sprig of thyme. Cook for a minute.
- Add onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Stir well so that all the ingredients are combined.
- Add washed white acre peas and stir well so that the mixture coats it well.
- Add vegetable broth, coconut milk and bring it to a boil.
- Once the mixture starts to boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Once the peas are tender, remove the saucepan from heat and garnish with parsley. Serve hot.
This was very tasty, thank you.
thank you,from this recipe i know how to make white acre peas stew from Rwanda
That’s so cool, thank you for visiting our website