We all love carrots not because of their many benefits, slightly sweet flavor but also because of the vibrant color they have. The most common type is the orange ones. You can find them easily anywhere.
And if you go a little above and beyond, you will see some yellow carrots as well. As much as they seem exotic to you, orange and yellow aren’t the only colors carrots come in. how about you giving a purple carrot a try? it is not just beautiful to look at, but is also extremely flavorful and unique.
Above all, they are super easy to cook. You can cook them in any way you like. But I personally love the air-fried version. It is quick, easy to make, and gives you a very crispy carrot. Above all, it is a healthy version and is oil-free. Check out Air Fryer Asparagus and Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes.
What Are Carrots?
Did you know that the orange, yellow carrots we eat today are not the original ones? Yes, as much weird as it may sound, it is the truth! The orange carrots so commonly available all across the world today are actually a mutated form of the carrots.
According to food historians, carrots started cultivating the old Persian lands way back in the 10th century. And what’s more interesting is that this vegetable was grown and had a bright purple to almost black color. Read about Black Carrots.
The core, however, was lighted and seemed almost white to pale yellow. As time passed, the climate and weather changes, and so did the soil. And with the changes in the earth’s atmosphere, the color of the vegetable also changed. As the seeds spread all across the world, different soils added mutation to the original vegetable, and so, the orange color came into being.
What was once common is now said to be quite rare, exotic, and interesting. Although the purple carrot has all the properties of the orange carrot, it’s the flavor that stands out a bit. Purple carrot has an extremely sweet flavor with a note of peppery taste. It is quite unique and delicious in its own way.
Health Benefits Of Carrots?
Here are a few amazing benefits of carrots you should know about:
- Carrots are jam-packed with vitamins A, vitamin B, and vitamin c.
- It is rich in several minerals like potassium.
- Carrot has a high content of anti-oxidants, especially Anthocyanins. His natural anti-oxidant has several benefits and contains anti-inflammatory properties.
- It also reduces harmful compounds in the body, thus promoting heart health.
- Anthocyanins in purple carrots also show promising results in protecting the brain and mind against decline, dementia, etc. thus, it improves memory and overall brain functioning.
- Purple carrot contains nine times more antioxidants than orange carrots.
- They also fight cancerous cells causing their death. As a result, they protect the body from the risks of cancer growth.
- Carrots are low in calories and high in nutrition. As a result, it aids in weight loss and healthy weight management.
- It helps in lowering the level of sugar in the blood and also reduces cholesterol levels. As a result, it helps in treating metabolic syndromes.
- It is also high in fiber, thus aids in improved digestive health and also helps in feeling fuller for longer.
What Carrots Are Best For Air Frying?
Basically, any carrot can be used once the sizes are pretty much similar to ensure even cooking. Avoid large carrots, they will not cook evenly, therefore it is best to cut large carrots into smaller strips or chunks.
I love to use thin baby carrots with stems on. I purchased them in the organic section of Whole Foods Market. You can purchase them in the orange, purple, or multicolor bunch that has white, purple, and orange. Basically, they are sold in most health food stores.
Baby Carrots are also great to roast in the air fryer.
What To Look For When Buying Carrots?
Here are a few points you should remember when buying carrots:
- Look for smaller carrots.
- Find the ones that are firm to touch and are not soft or elastic.
- Get your hands on the ones that have the green part still attached to them.
- Don’t buy the carrots that are broken or have slits.
- Choose the ones that are still in bunches.
Here is everything you need for this recipe:
- Carrots: it’s the main hero of the dish. You can find carrots from any grocery store. However, make sure you use fresh, firm, and evenly sized carrots for better coking purposes.
- Olive oil: To cook the carrots, you need oil. I love using olive oil, but you can also use coconut oil.
- Garlic powder: The garlicky flavor pairs perfectly well with almost anything. It adds tons of flavor to the carrots.
- Lemon juice: To bring in some tanginess, I have used the juice of a fresh lemon.
How To Air Fry Carrots?
Air frying carrots enhances the natural sweetness of the carrots, it is the easiest thing ever! It is exactly like air frying any other vegetable.
Equipment Used: I used the Cuisinart Convection Toaster Oven Air Fryer
All you have to do is:
- Wash the carrots thoroughly to get rid of dirt.
- Pat them dry and cut the top.
- Place them in a bowl of air fryer basket. Next, you can mix ingredients, i.e., olive oil, garlic powder, lemon juice, salt, and pour the mixture over the carrots.
- Mix well so that it coats carrots well. Next, arrange it in the basket in a single layer and start the air fryer.
- Cook them at 400-degree F for about 15-20 minutes.
- Turn the carrots halfway into the cook, and that’s it. Once they are done, remove them from the basket and garnish them with freshly chopped cilantro.
Tips And Tricks For Perfectly Air-Fried Carrots
Although making carrots in the air fryer is the easiest thing you can ever do, here are a few tips you should keep in mind:
- When buying the carrots, make sure they are evenly sized. If you buy large carrots, cut them into small pieces; otherwise, they will take longer to cook.
- Wash them thoroughly to get rid of dirt; otherwise, it won’t be pleasant to eat.
- Make sure you line the carrots in the air fryer pan or basket in a single layer. Otherwise, they won’t be cooked evenly.
- Turn them halfway into the cook to ensure even cooking.
- You can add more spices to the mixture like cumin, paprika, etc., to spice the carrots up.
- You can also add your favorite herb mixture to the mixture.
Other Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Plantains
- Kale Chips In The Air Fryer
- Air Fry Tofu
- Falafel Salad Bowl In The Air Fryer
- Healthy Air Fryer Peaches
- Baked Sweet Potato
- Fries In The Air Fryer
- Zucchini Chips
How To Store Air-fried Carrots?
You can easily store the leftover air-fried carrots. Simply place them in an air-tight container and store them in the refrigerator. They are good to go for about three days. And when you want to eat them. Reheat in an air fried to get them warm and crispy.
What To Serve With Air-Fried Carrots?
Air fried carrots serve as an amazing side to several delicious dishes. You can serve them alongside any:
Furthermore, air-fried carrots are also an amazing snack. You can eat them with your favorite dips like hummus, and they will taste great. Furthermore, add it to your salads, and pair it up with other roasted or air-fried vegetables to get the most texture and flavors.
If you try the recipe, share your experience in the comment box. Join our Facebook groups for more interesting and delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes.
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends to Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 94 kcal / 393 kJ
- Fat: 4.9 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Carbs: 12.5 g
- Preparation: 5 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- Ready in: 25 min
- 6 Servings
- In a bowl, add olive oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and mix well.
- Wash carrots and pat them dry. Pour the mixture on them and mix well.
- Place the carrots on the air fryer sheet or air fryer basket.
- Place the sheet pan or basket in the air fryer and cook for about 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- Once 10 minutes are up, turn the carrots and cook the other side.
- Once done, remove from the basket and garnish with cilantro.