FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
I decided to make this vegan spinach soup that is similar to traditional Jamaican pepperpot soup, I used spinach instead of callaloo and the result was remarkable.
Pepperpot soup is an African stew that originated in West Africa and made its way to the Caribbean and Atlantic coast of North America by the Slave trade.
The traditional version had meat, starches, leafy greens cooked in a flavorful seasoned broth with hot peppers.
Depending on the location, different leafy green vegetables were used, for example, in the Caribbean the leafy greens of choice is callaloo or taro leaves and in North America, it is spinach or kale.
How To Cook Vegan Spinach Soup
To make the spinach soup vegan, I not only omitted the meat but I boost the flavor by including onion, garlic, green onions, thyme, vegetable broth, vegetable bouillon, Scotch bonnet pepper and allspice berries cooked in coconut milk.
I also added potatoes and dumplings to the stew and let it simmer until thickened. My family enjoyed it.
Other Vegan Stews To Try
- 248 kcal / 1037 kJ
- 17 g
- 8 g
- 17 g
- 15 min
- 30 min
- Ready in:
- 45 min
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 vegetable bouillon
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 6 allspice berries
- 1 Scotch Bonnet pepper
- 1 medium potato, or Caribbean sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 batch of Dumplings, (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat, add onion and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Stir in garlic, green onions, celery, thyme and cook until fragrant.
- Add spinach and stir until wilted. Add vegetable bouillon, coconut milk, vegetable broth, allspice berries, potatoes, dumplings and Scotch Bonnet. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer for about 25-30 minutes.
For The Dumplings
- Place flour and salt in a bowl. Add water and mix to make a stiff dough. Pinch off small pieces of dough and roll into the palm of hands to make long thin dumplings. Drop into simmering stew.