Homemade V8 Juice is a quick and easy way to get the flavors and nutritional benefits that you love about store-bought V8 juice. Here is everything you need to know about making Homemade V8 juice to start incorporating it into your daily life.
Well, we all know about V8 juice from the Campbell company. Campbell has been producing their famous V8 juices since 1947.
The interesting thing is that the V8 has been around even before that! It was originally produced by Frank Constable in the early 1930s, and when Campbell acquired the small company that produced V8 and other vegetable juices, they hit a jackpot.
Ever since then, the company has been the sole producer of the famous V8. In fact, they have developed different flavors of this savory juice. These flavors include the original, Hint of Black Pepper, Spicy Hot, Lemon, Picante, Organic, and Low-Sodium.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Although the juice is very famous, it still contains preservatives. So, if you are a lover of the V8 juice, why not make it on the premises of your home? There are several reasons you should try this V8 juice recipe at your home. Here are a few:
- This V8 recipe is 100% free from preservatives. Because you make everything fresh, there are no added preservatives, chemicals, or artificial flavorings at all.
- Homemade V8 juice is 100% fresh. As the juice is fresh, it contains the maximum amount of nutrients and flavors. However, it is important that you drink it fresh every time. Storing it might not be a good thing.
- This recipe for V8 has no added sugar. So, if you crave juice but don’t want it to have sugar, you won’t find any option better than the homemade V8 juice.
- You can customize the flavors. As you make it at home, you can add a few extra ingredients to add a new dimension to the juice. Furthermore, you can also experiment with it and see which ingredients fit your taste the best.
V8 Juice Nutrition
V8 juice is loaded with some amazing minerals, vitamins, and nutrients. These nutrients mainly come from the vegetables used in the juice. Furthermore, because there is no added sugar in the juice, it is naturally more healthy option to drink than store-bought juices or sodas. Here is a few V8 juice nutrition you should know about:
- Vitamins A: Vitamin A is an essential component of carrots, celery, and spinach. Because these two vegetables are used in our V8 juice, it is natural that you get plenty of vitamin A in it. Vitamin A gives your body and organs strength. It keeps your bones and teeth strong. Also, it aids in healthy white blood cells.
- Vitamin C: Spinach, celery and red bell peppers provide you with vitamin C. Furthermore if you add lemon juice, it will boost the vitamin C ratio even further. Vitamin C is well known for increasing your body’s immunity i.e., its ability to fight against diseases. Apart from this, it also develops and repairs the tissues of your body and increases the production of collagen. Lastly, it also makes your skin healthy and glowing.
- Potassium: Tomatoes and celery are amazing sources of potassium. Potassium fights against many illnesses and diseases. For instance, having a diet that is high in potassium protects your heart from diseases like strokes. It also regulates your blood pressure. Potassium is also known to prevent the degeneration of body cells. Lastly, it keeps your skin healthy.
- Folic acid/folate: Folic acid is very crucial for the body on so many different levels. It is especially crucial for pregnant women. Vegetables like beetroot, celery, spinach, and onion are high in folic acid or folate. It protects the cells in your body and also helps you recover from blood deficiency.
- Antioxidants: antioxidants are also very crucial for your body. They guard the body against so many diseases like cancer, heart strokes, and other skin related issues. Vegetables like tomatoes, beetroots, spinach, and carrots are high in antioxidants.
- Anti-inflammatory: Tomatoes and spinach contain high levels of anti-inflammatory benefits. Therefore, they protect you against diseases like arthritis, obesity, diabetes, cancer, heart diseases, depression, and much more.
By looking at the benefits of the vegetables that are included in our V8 juice recipe, it is clear how healthy this juice is. Apart from the benefits mentioned above, the V8 juice also increases your energy level.
So, if you are feeling down. Just have a juice and your energy levels will rise up again within seconds. In other words, drinking V8 juice is a step towards a healthy body and a healthy life.
- Beetroot – it is best to use organic red beets when possible. Scrub your beetroot to remove dirt, sand, or debris. You could also juice your beet tops too, they have lots of nutrients too. Discard yellow or brown leaves. Cut your beetroot to the size that fits your juicer shute.
- Red Bell Pepper – is sweet and high in betacarotene, the precursor to Vitamin A. Great for glowing skin and a strong immune system.
- Tomato – choose 4 plum tomatoes or 4 larger tomatoes. Tomatoes contain Vitamin, A, C, and E.
- Celery – contains Vitamins A, C, K, potassium, and folate.
- Spinach– contains protein, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, Vitamin A, folate.
- Onion – adds flavor to the juice. Contains folate, Vitamin B6, potassium, and Vitamin C.
- Garlic – adds flavor.
- Salt – to taste (optional)
- Cayenne – to taste (optional)
How To Make Homemade V8 Juice
Making V8 juice is the easiest thing you can ever do. All you need is a High-Performance Juicer and fresh vegetables.
- Firstly, wash all the vegetables and chop them according to the requirement.
- Next, you have to start juicing them up. The rest is the juicer’s work.
- Season it with your favorite flavors.
I love adding a kick to the juice so I use a pinch of salt and cayenne pepper. However, you can use any other seasoning as well. Once it is done, enjoy!
- Select the freshest organic vegetables for the best flavor and maximum nutrition. Washing and scrubbing them thoroughly is essential to remove any dirt or debris.
- Make sure you use all vegetables fresh. Frozen vegetables won’t have the same nutritional content.
- V8 juice is at its best when consumed fresh. It’s important to drink it immediately after juicing to get the most nutrients and flavors. Storing it for an extended period can affect its taste and nutritional value.
Substitutions and Variations
The best thing about this homemade V8 juice is that you can customize it according to your taste. Although it is better you keep the vegetables the same, you can add tons of flavor to them. Here are a few ideas that you should try to add to your v8 juice ingredients for an interesting blend of flavors.
- Salty: because V8 juice is savory, you should expect it to have a less sweet and a saltier flavor. Although, most people like how it tastes without adding any seasonings. However, if you want it to be on a salty side, you can always add sea salt to it. Furthermore, you can also add more celery stalks if you want to add saltiness naturally.
- Kick of Spice: I love how V8 juice tastes after I season it with cayenne pepper. It gives it a nice kick. Furthermore, you can also black pepper, hot sauce, or even jalapeno. Give your V8 an interesting blend of flavor and a kick that you need to get through the day!
- Tanginess: If you are craving something tangy, try adding lemon juice to your V8 juice recipe. The thing that lemon does to the juice is very interesting. It is like the juice explodes freshness. Lemon juice enhances the flavors and makes the juice so much better.
- Smoky: The best thing about V8 is that you can increase its flavor profile any way you want. For instance, try it with a bit of Worcestershire sauce. It adds an interesting blend of flavors by making the juice a bit tangy and smoky at the same time.
In short, the sky is the limit when it comes to giving your V8 juice flavors. You can try different blends to see which one is your type.
Homemade V8 juice is best when consumed immediately for maximum freshness and nutrition. However, if you have leftover juice or need to store it for a short time, here are some storage guidelines:
- If you need to store your homemade V8 juice, transfer it to an airtight container. Refrigerate it as soon as possible.
- If there is any empty space in the container, fill it with more V8 juice to minimize contact with air. The less air in the container, the better the juice will keep.
- When you’re ready to enjoy your stored V8 juice, give it a good shake before pouring to recombine any settled solids or flavors.
- Homemade V8 juice is at its best when freshly made. It’s recommended to consume it within 1-2 days of juicing for optimal taste and nutritional benefits.
While a juicer is the preferred appliance for making V8 juice, you can use a high-powered blender. After blending the vegetables, strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve or nut milk bag to separate the juice from the pulp.
You can experiment with various vegetables like carrots, cucumbers, kale, and parsley to create your own unique V8 juice blend. Just keep in mind that the traditional V8 flavor comes from tomatoes, bell peppers, celery, and other core ingredients.
Homemade V8 juice offers the advantage of being preservative-free and customizable. You can control the quality of ingredients and flavors, making it a healthier option for those seeking natural and nutritious beverages.
It’s best to use fresh, organic vegetables for homemade V8 juice to retain the maximum nutritional content and flavor. Frozen vegetables may not provide the same results.
Other Healthy Drink Recipes
- Ginger Turmeric Shot
- Jamaican Sorrel Drink
- Vegan Irish Moss (Sea Moss) Drink
- Carob Powder Drink
- Peanut Punch
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends to Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 142 kcal / 594 kJ
- Fat: 0.7 g
- Protein: 4.6 g
- Carbs: 32.5 g
- Preparation: 5 min
- Ready in: 5 min
- For: 2 Servings
- Wash all the vegetables and let them dry.
- Chop them one by one so that they fit the juicer’s feeding chute.
- Start the juicer and add vegetables one at a time until all the vegetables are juiced.