Prepare this tasty vegan stew for the holiday, it is enough to feed a family and it is very economical. It is delicious served with Gluten-Free Vegan Cornbread and Vegan Mac And Cheese, Vegan Collard Greens.
Vegan Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas
Traditionally, blackeyed peas also called Hopin John recipe is served in the Southern States for New Year’s Eve celebration. I make this dish all year because it tastes amazing.
It is especially great to prepare during the winter months, you can also enjoy it over Brown Jasmine Rice.
About This Black Eye Peas
My hubby isn’t a fan of black-eyed peas, but when I tell you, he said it tastes great, which means it is really delicious. I added some cayenne pepper for a hint of spicy flavor but it is fine if you leave it out.
Black-eyed peas are actually a member of the cowpeas family. It is a legume that is packed with lots of protein and fibers. They are also a good source of folate, iron, thiamine, and copper.
In the Southern states, the beans are cooked with meat, spices, and greens. My vegan blackeyes are flavorful that you won’t miss the meat.
Dried Vs Canned
I prefer to use dried peas, I find the flavor to be bolder. You get to control the amount of salt that is added because canned peas contain lots of added salt. I do use canned beans at times for convenience.
Do You Have To Soak Black-Eyed Peas?
No, You don’t have to soak your black-eyed peas before cooking them in the instant pot or pressure cooker.
What Goes In Vegan Instant Pot Black-Eyed Peas
- Black-Eyed Peas – I used dried black-eyed peas, no need. to pre-soak them. They cook up quickly in the pressure cooker. If you are using fresh peas, cut the cooking time in half.
- Olive Oil – you can omit the oil and saute the vegetables in 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth.
- Onion, Celery, Bell Pepper, Garlic – add flavor to the stew.
- Spices – the smoked paprika, Creole seasoning, and liquid smoke combination gives is a real smoky flavor without using traditional ham hocks. I also added thyme and bay leaves for that herby flavor.
- Vegetable Broth – you can use store-bought or make your own Vegetable Broth. The good thing is, most vegetable broths on the market are gluten-free, they do not contain autolyzed wheat extract like chicken and beef broth but double-check the label to make sure.
Substitute For Black Eyed Peas
If you don’t have black-eyed peas, a good substitute would be field peas, pigeon peas, cranberry beans.
How To Cook Black-Eyed Peas In The Instant Pot?
It is a straightforward recipe, you basically saute your seasonings, add your rinse peas and cook in vegetable broth.
I used dried black-eyed peas for this recipe but you can substitute with fresh, or frozen.
Tips For Making Black Eyed Peas In The Instant Pot
- Make sure to season your peas with spices so they aren’t bland, adding the Creole/Cajun seasoning makes them pop.
- Add sauteed vegan sausage at the end for extra flavor.
- For a thicker stew, turn off the Instant Pot, then choose the Saute mode and mash some of the peas with the back of your wooden spoon.
What To Serve With Instant Pot Black-Eyed Peas?
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends to Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 128 kcal / 535 kJ
- Fat: 4 g
- Protein: 8 g
- Carbs: 15 g
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- Ready in: 50 min
- 6 Servings
- 1 pound dried black eyed peas, sorted and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 ribs celery
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon Cajun/Creole Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper (optional)
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon hickory liquid smoke
- salt, to taste
- Turn the Instant Pot on saute mode, add oil.
- Add onion, celery, bell pepper and cook until onion is soft about 2 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, smoked paprika, thyme, Creole Seasoning. cayenne pepper until fragrant.
- Add black-eyed peas, vegetable broth, bay leaves. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and turn the steam knob to Sealing. Press the Manual button and set the timer for 15 minutes.
- When complete, allow the Instant Pot to natural release for 20 minutes. Turn off Instant Pot, open the lid, stir in the liquid smoke, and season with salt to taste.
- You can set the Instant Pot on Saute mode to cook longer if you want a thicker stew.