Oh yes! These healthy Gluten-Free Vegan Cauliflower Hash Browns are crisp on the outside and moist on the inside, so irresistible!
Are you watching your weight and looking for low-carb healthy options? Well, this delicious Gluten-Free Vegan Cauliflower Hash Browns recipe is perfect for you! You can also try my Broccoli Fritters.
As much as I like Trader Joes Hash Brown Patties, my recipe is so much healthier and lower in calories. I use fresh ingredients and I also get to control what ingredients I put in them.
One good thing is I read that, Trader Joe's products do not contain genetically modified ingredients so they are a great option as a backup plan.
My hubby and son Daevyd loved my Gluten-Free Vegan Cauliflower Hash Browns so much that I'm making another batch for supper. I will serve it with homemade sugar-free ketchup, scrambled tofu and Guacamole (Yummy, I know right!).
I love the fact that cauliflower has so many health benefits, so I was delighted to use it as the base for this recipe. Here are some of them:
- Cauliflower is a good source of vitamins and minerals. It contains vitamin B, C, and K. It also contains magnesium, thiamin, phosphorus, protein, potassium, manganese.
- Boosts brain development, cauliflower contains choline a compound known to improve cognitive function, memory, and learning.
- Cauliflower contains sulforaphane, a compound shown to kill cancer cells.
How To Make Gluten-Free Vegan Cauliflower Hashbrowns
- I processed the cauliflower and onion using my food processor until very crumbly, looking like rice.
- I then transferred the cauliflower rice to a bowl, I added besan flour, arrowroot powder, water, and seasonings. I then formed them into patties and cook them in a skillet on both sides (you can bake for 30 minutes in the oven set at 400 degrees Fahrenheit)
- You can substitute the besan flour with chickpea flour or other gluten-free flour.
- They keep their shape perfectly and don't fall apart.
- You can make a double batch and freeze the rest.
- I recommend that you only use a non-stick skillet if you don't have one then bake them in the oven or an air fryer.
- To ensure that the patties are fully cooked on the inside is to cover the skillet for the first 5 minutes and then uncover for the remaining minutes.
- I also find that when I wash my cauliflower then process in the food processor, I don't need to add water for the hash browns to be shaped into patties.
- You can add extra seasoning for more flavor if you choose. Traditional homemade hash brown has little seasoning.
*Update January 2nd, 2019- I made another batch today and included a collage of the step by step process above. I baked mine this time and they were perfect.
I didn't add the extra water mentioned in the directions because it was moist enough after processing in the food processor. The chickpea flour worked perfectly. However, if you need it to hold more I suggest you add a gluten-free all-purpose flour and not more chickpea flour.
Also, it is better to brush oil on the baking sheet rather than use an oil spray. Make sure to let the hash browns sit at least 10 minutes in the baking pan before removing, the hashbrowns get firmer as they sit.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 144 kcal / 602 kJ
- 6 g
- 6 g
- 20 g
- 5 min
- 10 min
- Ready in:
- 15 min
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, Brush parchment paper with oil or lightly spray with cooking oil.
- Process cauliflower and onion in a food processor or grate with a box grater until crumbly. Transfer riced cauliflower mixture into a large bowl.
- Add besan flour/chickpea flour, arrowroot starch, garlic powder, salt, water and stir to combine.
- Divide batter into 6 equal portions, shape into patties, about 3 x 2 inches.
- Place patties on prepared baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, turning halfway.