Oven Roasted Zucchini And Squash are a perfect side dish that will make your meal flavorful, healthy, and vibrant. These summer vegetables are loaded with nutrients and flavors.
Above all, this dish is super easy to make and versatile as well. Whether it is lunch or dinner, you can enjoy freshly roasted vegetables whenever you want.
Why you’ll love Oven Roasted Zucchini and Squash
Summertime is a high time for most of the vegetables, including squash and its several types. Although you might find them all around the year, in summers, these seem fresher and more vibrant.
One of the most favorite vegetables during this season includes squash and zucchini. That’s because these are versatile. There is so much you can make with these summer veggies. From making spaghetti to roasting them, the sky is the limit.
I particularly love roasting squash and zucchini, and you should will, too! Here is why you should try this fantastic roasted squash and zucchini recipe:
- It is super easy to make. The maximum time you need will be slicing and roasting it. You can get this dish on a plate in literally 20 minutes. It’s a perfect choice for a quick dinner.
- This dish is flavorful. Apart from the spices and seasonings you add to give the flavor of the vegetables, you will also get a fresh, rich, and slightly sweet taste of the vegetables. The best part is you can add whatever spice you want and the final product will come out just perfect.
- It’s healthy. Roasted squash and zucchini are jam-packed with nutrients and offer vitamins and minerals. So, if you are on a diet or following a healthy lifestyle, make this dish today!
- It is vegan. So, for those who are on a vegan diet, it can’t get any better!
Are squash and zucchini the same?
For those who don’t know a lot about squash, let me tell you there are about 100 different types of squash available throughout the year. These varieties come and go all around the year.
Now for those who confuse zucchini with squash, let me tell you that zucchinis are a type of squash. They are closely related to each other. Both of these vegetables are prepared more or less the same way.
Also, they have a white, tender, and quite soft interior. It is almost squashy and spongy. Apart from these slight similarities, there are several differences as well. Here are a few to name:
- Color: A zucchini has a dark green to golden yellow color. At the same time, a squash is essentially yellow.
- Shape: zucchini has a straight and long shape, more like a cylinder. In contrast, a squash is shaped like a pear. It has a bulb-like bottom, and the top is relatively narrow.
Ingredients needed for Oven Roasted Squash and Zucchini
When making roasted squash and zucchini, you don’t need a lot of ingredients. The main point is to bring in flavor through simple spices and seasonings. Here is everything you need to know about these ingredients:
- Zucchini: One of the main ingredients of this dish is the zucchini. It has a mild flavor with a slight sweetness to it. When buying zucchini, look for the ones that are firm and are small in size. Remember that longer zucchini tends to be bitter. Furthermore, zucchini should be blemish-free and free from bruises.
- Yellow squash: This is the other main ingredient and it is slightly sweeter than zucchini. Follow the same instructions when shopping for squash as you do with zucchini.
- Garlic: Garlic brings in a depth of savory flavor to the dish. For this recipe, I like to use whole peeled garlic cloves, but you can mince them as well.
- Olive oil: Olive oil helps in cooking vegetables. It gives them the color and flavor as well. Although we all have olive oil in our kitchen, if you don’t happen to have it, you can use avocado oil as well. Furthermore, cooking oil or canola oil works well also.
- Paprika: Paprika is known for its smoky and sweet flavor with a hint of spice. It is a perfect ingredient to bring in slight hotness to the dish. If you happen to love heat in your food, you can use cayenne pepper instead as well. Scotch bonnet powder works really well as well.
- Salt: No dish is complete without salt. So, add according to your liking.
How to make Oven Roasted Zucchini and Squash
Making roasted squash and zucchini is super easy. It takes no more than 25 minutes to get it on the plate. With readily available ingredients, here are simple steps you have to follow for perfect results:
- Wash the vegetables and pat them dry. Using a sharp knife, slice the squash and zucchini into ¼ inch thick slices. You don’t need to peel them. It is a personal preference.
- Place the sliced vegetables and garlic in a large bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil on top. Add Italian seasoning, paprika, and salt. Mix well so that the seasonings are combined.
- Place the vegetables on a parchment-lined baking tray. Make sure they are placed in a single layer.
- Place the baking tray in a preheated oven at 400-degree F for about 20 minutes.
- Halfway into the cook, flip the vegetables so that they get a nice color on both sides.
- When the time is up, and the vegetables get a nice golden color, remove the baking tray from the oven.
- Serve hot.
Tips and tricks for perfect roasted squash and zucchini in oven
Although making roasted squash and zucchini is pretty straightforward, we will have to take care of a few things for better results:
- When buying zucchini, look for the ones that are firm and are small in size. Remember that longer zucchini tends to be bitter.
- Make sure all the slices are of equal sizes. This way, the vegetables will cook evenly.
- If you don’t want to slice the vegetables, you can dice them into small pieces as well. Diced vegetables also cook at the same time. Again, make sure they are even in size.
- Most people prefer not to peel the vegetables. It is convenient and saves time as well. However, if you don’t like the skin, you can peel it before cooking.
Substitutions and Variations
- You can add more vegetables like onions to make the dish more vibrant.
- If you don’t want to add whole garlic cloves, you can add garlic powder as well.
- To bring in more flavor, add jerk seasoning to the vegetables. It will taste great.
You can store the leftover roasted squash and zucchini by placing them in an air-tight container. Place the air-tight container in the refrigerator, and it will be good to go for about 3 days. You can reheat them in the oven for about 5-7 minutes to enjoy.
What to serve with oven roasted squash and zucchini
Roasted squash and zucchini are the perfect side dish for your main course. Furthermore, you can also use these in a few different ways. Here are a few ideas:
- Tacos: Fill your tacos with roasted squash and zucchini to enjoy a unique flavor this summer. I bet you will love it.
- Burritos: Roasted squash and zucchini is a perfect ingredient to fil your burritos. These go so well for a Breakfast Burrito or lunch. Thus, an ideal way to enjoy your vegetables.
- Pasta: Serve these vegetables with pasta topped with Vegan Cheese Sauce or Pesto. The flavors will go so well, and it will turn into a quick and scrumptious meal.
- Rice: You can also serve these roasted vegetables with Garlic Rice. Turn them into fried rice or serve them separately. Either way, they will taste so good.
No! Some people prefer to, but the peel of both vegetables are perfectly edible.
Always look for small zucchinis. The bigger they are, the more bitter they will be.
More Zucchini Recipes:
- Baked Zucchini Fries
- Air Fryer Zucchini Chips
- Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Gluten-Free Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Soup
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends to Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love
- Energy: 59 kcal / 247 kJ
- Fat: 4 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Carbs: 6 g
- Preparation: 15 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- Ready in: 35 min
- For: 4 Servings
- Wash zucchini and yellow squash and pat them dry.
- Using a sharp knife, slice and discard the top of the zucchini and yellow squash. Slice the zucchini and squash. Make sure they are about ½ inch thick.
- Place the sliced vegetables and garlic cloves in a large bowl and season them with paprika, olive oil, and salt. Toss to combine all the ingredients.
- Place the vegetables on a parchment-lined baking tray in a single layer.
- Place the baking tray in a preheated oven at 400-degree F for about 20 minutes.
- Flip the vegetables halfway into the cook.
- When the time is up, and the vegetables get a nice golden color, remove the baking tray from the oven. Serve immediately.