Learn how to prepare a whole roasted cauliflower for holidays or weekend parties. You can prepare this whole roasted cauliflower in many ways, but I have made this in the creamiest and smoothest way in this article. I have well-seasoned cauliflower with vegan mayonnaise and spices.
The preparation took me only 10 minutes, and the rest of the cooking was done in the oven. This dish is a show stopper, whether you are a meat-lover or enjoying it as a side course or a main dish as a vegetarian meal.
This juicy and flavorful Whole Roasted Cauliflower recipe served with my Cornbread Stuffing, Mac and Cheese, and Sweet Potato Pie will be a huge hit.
It’s a day before the holiday but this cauliflower roast is a great last-minute addition to your holiday menu that will be remembered by your guests for years to come like my Lentil Loaf.
Some nights when I feel lazy preparing dinner. I don’t like grabbing the cutting board and chopping the entire cauliflower head. Instead, I start to bake them in the oven. The roasted cauliflower has the perfect crisp layer outside, and inside it has a tender and creamy texture.
This dish looks beautiful, luxurious, and fancy to treat you and your family on a winter night, besides some vegan gravy and rice.
Cauliflower Health Benefits
Cauliflower is a very healthy vegetable that is a necessary source of nutrients. They may look like a white variant of broccoli, but a thick core connects their florets with a few light leaves surrounding them. Only 100g of cauliflower has 92g of water, indicating it can keep us hydrated; also, they are a great source of fiber.
As said earlier, cauliflower is a great source of many important nutrients, and each of its nutrients has its own beneficial side. Here are some must-know health benefits of cauliflower,
Rich in Fiber
Cauliflower is full of fiber, and fiber is very necessary for our digestive health. Fiber can also reduce the risks of many chronic diseases. One cup of cauliflower has 3g of fiber; that amount of fiber is recommended for 10% of our daily fiber needs.
Great Source of Antioxidants
Antioxidants are well known for decreasing inflammation and guarding us against many chronic diseases. Cauliflower has a significant amount of antioxidants to provide us with those health benefits.
Helps with Weight Loss
Cauliflower is low in calories, and its fiber can increase the feeling of fullness after having a meal. The feeling of fullness makes us feel no hunger quickly after finishing that meal. This feeling of fullness caused by fiber can help us manage weight loss.
Rich in Choline
Choline is a nutrient that many people lack. They have a big role in maintaining the wholeness of cell membranes and supporting metabolism. Also, they have a role in synthesizing DNA
High in Sulforaphane
Sulforaphane is a plant compound with many beneficial effects, such as it helps to decrease the risks of heart disease. Also, this compound can prevent diabetes and reduce cancer risks.
Great Alternative to Legumes and Grains
Cauliflower can be used in recipes as an alternative to grains and legumes. That is great because you get to eat more vegetables or maintain a low-carb diet rather than eating carbs.
How To Make Whole Roasted Cauliflower?
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Spray the casserole dish and set aside
- Meanwhile, prepare the Vegan Gravy and set it aside
- Trim and discard tough stems and cauliflower leaves,
- In a medium bowl, mix vegan mayonnaise and dry seasonings to form a paste.
- Place cauliflower in a bowl, and smother mayonnaise paste all over the cauliflower head, base, and in between the florets as much as possible.
- Transfer cauliflower to the casserole dish.
- Add potato and carrot chunks to the bowl and toss with the remaining mayo mixture in the base of the bowl.
- Add seasoned potato, carrots, and half of the vegan gravy to the casserole dish and place them around the cauliflower.
- Cover the casserole dish with parchment paper and foil and bake for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove the cover and reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees and bake for about 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and golden Brown.
- Before serving, smother cauliflower and vegetables with the remaining half of the gravy, garnish with fresh rosemary sprigs and serve.
How to Make Vegan Mayonnaise at Home?
You can easily prepare homemade vegan mayonnaise with only 4 ingredients and just 5 minutes! This vegan mayo is so tasty, rich, creamy, and cholesterol-free. The taste of this mayo tastes exactly like regular mayo.
Use an immersion blender and add almond milk or soy milk, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and salt. Start combining all the ingredients in the blender cup. Move the blender cup up and down to mix the oil properly.
If the mayo turns thick, you can add some milk, and it becomes watery, then pour some oil to get the perfect mayo consistency. You can keep the leftover vegan mayo in the refrigerator for about 4 to 7 days.
How Do You Make Sure There Are No Worms In Cauliflower?
Wash cauliflower with salty water. Fill the sink or a large mixing bowl with warm water. Add salt and mix to dissolve. do ž
Can I Prepare Whole Roasted Cauliflower Ahead of Time?
This recipe is best to enjoy fresh and straight out of the oven, but you can prepare some parts of the recipe.
You can wash and prepare the cauliflower and mix up the mayonnaise. Start baking the prepared cauliflower when you are ready. You can also prepare vegan gravy as a side dish for this.
How to Freeze Whole Roasted Cauliflower?
You can store leftover whole roasted cauliflower in the freezer. Simply chop the cauliflower into pieces, let them cool entirely, and store them in an air-tight container or sealed bag.
You can reheat them in the microwave or oven and some vegan parmesan or parsley on top!
Why Does My Roasted Cauliflower Get Mushy?
Roasted cauliflower can be mushy if the cauliflower is not cooked long enough. Also, you need to uncover the casserole pan so the cauliflower will be cooked until crispy and golden brown.
Why Is My Roasted Cauliflower Tough?
Your roasted cauliflower is tough because it is not cooked, it needs to cook longer until the cauliflower is tender.
- Get a paring knife to cut the wooden stalks of cauliflower while keeping the head in shape and intact.
- You can serve the whole roasted cauliflower in a white serving platter on display beside some rice and gravy.
- Add seasonings and mayonnaise perfectly around the cauliflower, and don’t leave any spot. You can also add some spices like paprika to enjoy spicy cauliflower.
Other Cauliflower Recipes:
- Jamaican Jerk Cauliflower
- Vegan Cauliflower Hashbrowns
- Cauliflower Nuggets
- Cauliflower Casserole
- 15 Best Vegan Cauliflower Recipes
If you make this Whole Roasted Cauliflower recipe snap a photo and hashtag #healthiersteps — we love to see your recipes on Instagram, Facebook & Twitter!
- Categories: Gluten-Free, Vegan
- Courses: Entrée, Main Course
- Cuisine: American
- Seasons: Christmas, Thanksgiving
- Energy: 110 kcal / 460 kJ
- Fat: 8 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Carbs: 8 g
- Preparation: 20 min
- Cooking: 1 h 30 min
- Ready in: 1 h 50 min
- For: 6
- 1 medium whole cauliflower head, leaves and hard stem removed
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 batch Vegan Gravy, Click on Link
- Fresh sprigs of rosemary, for garnishing
- 2 medium potatoes, scrubbed and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, washed and chopped
- Preheat oven 425 degrees F. Spray casserole dish and set aside
- Meanwhile, prepare the Vegan Gravy and set it aside
- Trim and discard tough stems and cauliflower leaves, In a medium bowl, mix vegan mayonnaise and dry seasonings to form a paste.
- Place cauliflower in a bowl, and smother mayonnaise paste all over the cauliflower head, base, and in between the florets as much as possible..Transfer cauliflower to the casserole dish.
- Add potato and carrot chunks to the bowl and toss with the remaining mayo mixture in the base of the bowl. Add seasoned potato, carrots, and half of the vegan gravy to the casserole dish and place them around the cauliflower.
- Cover the casserole dish with parchment paper and foil and bake for 1 hour. Meanwhile, prepare the Vegan Gravy and set aside. After 1 hour, remove the cover and reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees and bake for about 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and golden Brown.
- Before serving, smother cauliflower and vegetables with the gravy, garnish with fresh rosemary sprigs and serve.
What could be used in place of the mayo? Yogurt or maple syrup?
It’s easy to make: soaked cashews, water, lime juice, and a pinch of salt.
The best tasting cauliflower ever!..
Aww thank you Hazel for your kind worlds.
This was amazing! I didn’t have the mayo, but I did have vegan sour cream so I used that instead. Turned out great. Non-vegan family members loved it too.
I’m happy you enjoyed it Charity, thank you for your feedback.
This recipe was delicious! Next time will wash the cauliflower and allow to dry out well before putting in the recipe…but loved it! We used the gravy on the side – and plan to use that recipe for mashed and baked potatoes – has a terrific flavor! Thank you for the healthy, delicious – main meal!
You are welcome Mindy, that’s a great idea to dry the cauliflower out. I’m happy you enjoyed it.
Today I made this at lunchtime to eat for dinner. I just wanted to taste it and ended up eating almost half by myself! And I still haven’t even made the vegan gravy yet! The way things are going I should probably make the gravy for something else because this isn’t going to last!
Hahaha Rhonda, you are cracking me up! On a serious note, I really appreciate your feedback and you taking the time to let me know you enjoyed my recipe. I hope you make the gravy.
Wow, Michelle as you know my family is not vegan. But, we love vegetables and I am always try to find new ways to cook them. Following your steps, with just a few ingredient adjustments I prepared this dish. Let me tell you, that the family ate as if they were starving! It was absolutely delicious! My daughters who doesn’t usually like cauliflower, I thought that she would eat the entire thing. Good thing I made two! My husband, finished most of the second one off! A definite hit in our house!!! Thank you!
Adrienne thank you for your feedback, I’m so happy your family enjoyed it especially your daughters. I appreciate you sharing your experience.
My non-vegan 7 yr old son smelled this in the oven and thought it was chicken. He was disappointed to find it was cauliflower, but I convinced him to taste it anyway. I went upstairs and came back down 15 min later to find half the cauliflower missing :)
Flavorful and delicious! You never cease to amaze. Thank you Michelle!
Wow this is such an inspiring comment, I’m so happy your son gave it a try and loved it. Thank you very much for your feedback. I really appreciate it.
This was a great recipe and the gravy was so delicious. But I too double the vegan mayonnaise paste, to make enough to go the veggies.
Thank you Camille, I’m going to go ahead and increase the mayo in the ingredient list so other readers might benefit. Thank you for sharing your adjustments.
This recipe is incredibly amazing! It was all I could do to stop myself from eating the whole pan. This just as tasty without the gravy as it is with it. I did make a couple changes. First, to “smother” the cauliflower with the mayo mix, I had to quadruple that part of the recipe, but I had none left over for the other veggies. So I threw in some halved Brussels sprouts, olive oil, and the other seasonings with the potatoes and carrots and moved on. I did make some changes to the gravy recipe too, but I’ll leave those on the recipe itself. In a word: YUMMY!
Wow Debi, thank you for your feedback. I’m so happy you enjoyed it.
I love all your recipes and I can’t wait to try this one. It sounds so flavorful.