FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
This recipe was first posted November 13, 2013
Szechuan Cuisine is a very spicy form of Chinese cooking, incorporating lots of garlic and chili peppers. Szechuan eggplant is a famous Chinese dish also known as 'eggplant in Chinese hot garlic sauce'.
Traditionally this dish is prepared by deep-frying the eggplant strips, but I sauteed mine in less oil in a non-stick skillet.
Szechuan eggplant is made with long thin eggplants these eggplants are sold in Asian markets and most major supermarkets. You can substitute regular eggplant to make this dish.
How To Make Chinese Eggplant In Garlic Sauce
- Cut eggplants into strips about 2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. Set aside.
- Prepare sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Saute eggplant strips until golden and soft, remove eggplant from skillet and set aside. Add garlic, ginger, spring onion, and bell pepper strips and cook until fragrant.
- Add cooked eggplant and stir sauce before adding to the skillet. Stir well to coat eggplant until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and serve.
Other Asian Style Dishes To Try
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 112 kcal / 468 kJ
- 7 g
- 2 g
- 10 g
- 15 min
- 38 min
- Ready in:
- 53 min
- 2 medium Chinese eggplants
For The Sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons Bragg liquid aminos, or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon organic cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, or tapioca starch
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
For The Eggplant
- Cut eggplants into strips and set aside. Prepare sauce by combining vegetable broth, soy sauce, sugar, lemon juice, molasses, cornstarch, cayenne pepper and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok on medium-high heat, saute eggplant strips until golden brown (may need extra oil).
- Remove eggplant strips and set aside. Add garlic, ginger, spring onions and bell pepper, saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add sauteed eggplant strips and quickly add sauce to the skillet stirring and cook stirring until sauce thickens. Check seasoning and add salt to taste if needed.