FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
This super easy recipe is so indulgent, made with gluten-free rice and millet noodles or any of your favorite noodles. It is very versatile and you can easily customize the recipe to add your favorite vegetables, like bok choy, spinach, cabbage, snow peas, water chestnuts. It is flavorful served with my General Tso's Chickpeas or Sesame Tofu.
What is Vegetable Lo Mein?
Vegetable lo mein is stir-fried noodles and vegetables with a sauce made from soy sauce and seasonings.
Is Vegetable Lo Mein Vegan?
You have to read the label if it is store bought or ask the chef if it is from a restaurant or take-out facility if their vegetable lo mein is vegan, explaining what you mean.
You have to make sure the lo mein noodle doesn't contain eggs, and the sauce doesn't contain animal ingredients.
It really depends on who is making the sauce. Some sauce contains oyster sauce, fish sauce or chicken broth.
In many cultures, fish is regarded as Vegetarian so including fish sauce in vegetable lo mein would be recognized as vegetarian/vegan.
The best option is really to make your own, only then can you be certain that your vegetable lo mein is vegan, plus my version is quick, easy and delicious.
Gluten-Free Noodles For Vegetable Lo Mein
Trader Joe's Brown Rice Spaghetti
Is Lo Mein Gluten-Free?
If you get take-out or storebought vegetable lo mein, most likely it is not gluten-free. Here are the reasons:
- 1. Most likely the noodle is made from wheat. Traditional lo mein noodle is made from flour and eggs.
- 2. Most likely the soy sauce is not gluten-free. Most of the popular brands contain wheat as their first ingredient. So unless you verify, most likely you vegetable lo mein is made with regular soy sauce.
Vegetable Lo Mein Ingredients
- Ramen Noodle
- Sesame Oil
- Green Onion
- Bell Pepper
- Lo Mein Sauce - Bragg's Liquid Aminos or Tamari Soy Sauce, Lime Juice, Sesame Oil, Cane Sugar, Cayenne Pepper.
How To Make Vegetable Lo Mein?
Combine sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
Bring water to boil in a pot and cook ramen noodle according to package instructions, drain, and set aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat, add garlic, ginger, green onion and stir fry until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add red bell pepper, carrot, broccoli florets and cook for about 2 minutes. Add sauce and mix with vegetables to coat.
Add ramen noodles and mix to coat with vegetables and sauce and cook until heated through. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions and serve.
Other Recipes To Try
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 170 kcal / 711 kJ
- 6 g
- 5 g
- 26 g
- 10 min
- 10 min
- Ready in:
- 20 min
- 3 tablespoons Bragg's liquid aminos
- 1 tablespoon lime jor lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon roasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon organic cane sugar, or maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 ounces gluten-free ramen noodle, or brown rice spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 2 green onions, chopped extra for garnish
- 1 medium bell pepper, cut into slices
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into strips
- sesame seeds, for garnish
For The Sauce
- Combine ingredients for the sauce, Bragg's Liquid Aminos, lemon juice, sesame oil, sugar, and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to boil, add noodles or spaghetti and cook according to package directions. Drain using a colander and set aside.
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger, green onions and cook stirring until fragrant about one minute. Add red bell pepper, carrots, and broccoli and cook stirring constantly until veggies are tender about two minutes.
- Add ramen noodles and mix to coat with vegetables, add sauce and cook until heated through. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions and serve.