This super easy Vegetable Lo Mein recipe is so indulgent, made with gluten-free rice and millet noodles or any of your favorite noodles.
It is very versatile and you can easily customize the recipe to add your favorite vegetables, like bok choy, spinach, cabbage, snow peas, water chestnuts. It is also flavorful served with my General Tso’s Chickpeas or Sesame Tofu.
What is Vegetable Lo Mein?
Vegetable lo mein is made by stir-frying noodles and vegetables with a sauce made from soy sauce and seasonings.
Is Vegetable Lo Mein Vegan?
You have to read the label carefully ff it is store-bought. Ask the chef if it is from a restaurant or take-out facility, if their lo mein noodle is vegan, explaining what vegan means.
Make sure the lo mein noodle doesn’t contain eggs, and the sauce doesn’t contain animal ingredients.
It really depends on who is making the sauce. Some sauce contains oyster sauce, fish sauce or chicken broth.
In many cultures, fish is regarded as ‘Vegetarian’, the fish sauce may be included in the noodle and still be recognized as vegetarian/vegan.
The best option is really to make your own, only then can you be certain that your noodle is vegan. My homemade version is quick, easy and delicious.
Where To Buy Gluten-Free Lo Mein Noodles?
Trader Joe’s Brown Rice Spaghetti
Is Lo Mein Gluten-Free?
If you get take-out or storebought lo mein, most likely it is not gluten-free. Here are the reasons:
- 1. Flour and eggs are in traditional noodles.
- 2 Most of the soy sauce brands on the market are not gluten-free. They contain wheat as their first ingredient.
Vegetable Lo Mein Ingredients
- Ramen Noodle
- Sesame Oil
- Green Onion
- Bell Pepper
- Lo Mein Sauce – Bragg’s Liquid Aminos or Tamari Soy Sauce, Lime Juice, Sesame Oil, Cane Sugar, Cayenne Pepper.
How To Make Vegetable Lo Mein?
- Combine sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Bring water to boil in a pot and cook ramen noodles according to package instructions, drain, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat and add garlic, ginger, green onion and stir fry until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in red bell pepper, carrot, broccoli florets and cook for about 2 minutes. Add sauce and mix with vegetables to coat.
- Add ramen noodles and mix to coat with vegetables and sauce and cook until heated through. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions and serve.
Other Recipes Asian Inspired Vegan Recipes To Try
Get discounted copies of my cookbook Here
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes
- Energy: 170 kcal / 711 kJ
- Fat: 6 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Carbs: 26 g
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 10 min
- Ready in: 20 min
- 3 tablespoons Bragg's liquid aminos
- 1 tablespoon lime jor lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon roasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon organic cane sugar, or maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 ounces gluten-free ramen noodle, or brown rice spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 2 green onions, chopped leave extra for garnish
- 1 medium bell pepper, cut into slices
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into strips
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- Combine ingredients for the sauce, Bragg's Liquid Aminos, lemon juice, sesame oil, sugar, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to boil, add noodles or spaghetti and cook according to package directions. Drain using a colander and set aside.
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger, green onions and cook stirring until fragrant about one minute. Add red bell pepper, carrots, and broccoli and cook stirring constantly until veggies are tender about two minutes.
- Add ramen noodles and mix to coat with vegetables, add sauce and cook until heated through. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions and serve.